Best 6 Social Media Marketing Tips For Small Businesses
Social media marketing is one of the best marketing channels available for small businesses. It is doesn’t require your budget to compete with industry giants as in paid advertising. It can create a long-lasting, high activity customer base and brand community.
Of course, most businesses are aware how strong social media marketing can be. There are thousands of accounts posting fresh content to get the attention of the audiences. And all the businesses are competing for a few seconds of attention.
Your business needs every help it can get to increase its social media presence. To help you get the competitive edge you need we compiled a list of 6 social media marketing tips for small businesses.
1. Choose the right platforms
As a small business, your resources are much more limited. You can’t focus on all the possible marketing channels as large businesses can. So you need to focus on what matters the most.
This is also true for social media platforms. Drawing plans, creating content, analyzing and adapting to every social media platform is very resource-intensive. Focusing on every social media platform out there at once could produce abysmal results.
To get significant results, you need to know which platforms to focus on. Of course, being present on most platforms is always a good idea. But choosing a few to prioritize will make everything easier in the future.
To know the platforms you should choose, consider the following:
- Determine your target audience.
- Search your audience on social media platforms.
- Determine which platforms they are most active on.
- Consider the type of content you can create.
- Consider the format of your content.
- Decide which social media platforms that content can fit into.
2. Have a clear, metrics-driven goal
The first step of marketing is to determine goals. Social media marketing is no different.
Having clear, measurable goals will help you understand what you need to focus on. Also, all of your analysis will be based on these goals. Likewise, it will be even easier to understand how successful your current plan is.
You need your goals to be realistic and measurable. The following examples are the ones you should avoid:
- Gain 2 million followers in a single month (unrealistic).
- Gain more YouTube subscribers (non-measurable).
- Increase engagement (unclear).
Instead, try to come up with goals like this:
- Grow the number of followers by 7% per month during the first quarter of 2022.
- Gain 1000 new YouTube subscribers until the end of March 2022.
- Increase the average post engagement on Facebook posts by 10% until 12 December 2022.
Getting your goals in order is one of the best social media marketing tips we can provide you.
3. Create unique, engaging content
You can’t have a presence on social media without posting any content. People follow you based on the content you create, and how much value that content provides them. If you only post company advertisements and simple marketing messages, people will get bored of following you very quickly, and you will most likely not get much engagement.
The type of valuable content you post can include the following:
- How-to guides.
- Informative texts, graphics, videos.
- Funny, entertaining content.
- Company news, product news, updates.
- Sale/discount announcements.
- Customer testimonials, success stories.
As Bill Gates mentioned in his essay, “content is king.” Focus on creating valuable, engaging, unique content. This will be the backbone of your social media accounts. The rest of the strategy will be all about distributing that content more effectively.
4. Consider using third-party tools
Social media platforms came a long way since their first inception. The constant development cycle that they experience makes sure that they are both easy to use, and easy to manage.
Still, social media platforms do have certain limitations regarding their usage. Sure, in-app tools can help you get a lot of things done, but at certain points, using third-party apps to help you manage your social media marketing strategy can help you be more precise while spending less time.
Third-party social media tools range from management apps to content creation software. Here are some of them:
- You can use Biteable to create video content for social media.
- Buffer can help you manage and analyze multiple social media platforms at once.
- With Mention, you can get more insights into the social media presence of your brand.
5. Engage with your community
Engagement on social media is a powerful thing. With more engagement, your posts will be much more likely to get recognized as trending posts. Also the users you engage with will most likely feel seen and heard by your brand, and this will improve their experience.
To make sure that you are engaging with your followers, always monitor your direct messages and comments. Try to answer most of them, and be open to receiving content created by your followers.
Of course, there are certain comments and messages you shouldn’t answer, as well as conversations you shouldn’t be having on social media. Try to be as civil, and constructive as you can while answering comments. Don’t get into arguments, and politely direct those who have complaints towards your customer service.
6. Partner with influencers
Influencers are named “influencers” because of a simple reason: they influence people! So you should consider partnering with them, and maybe they will be able to influence people towards your direction.
The idea of partnering with influencers can seem like a costly ordeal, especially for a small business. The good news is that you don’t have to sponsor a world-famous influencer to reap the benefits. You can partner with a local influencer or a micro-influencer in your niche for very affordable prices. And the effects will still be significant.
We hope that you enjoyed our list of social media marketing tips for small businesses! If you want to learn more ways to improve your business, feel free to read our list of e-commerce tips for small businesses.